Real Avid has created some excellent tools to make gun cleaning simpler, quicker, and more pleasant. I was already a fan of their Bore Boss system and Handgun Tool (which I use for everything). Recently I decided to give their Carbon Boss tool a try.
The Carbon Boss offers specialized tools for scraping just about every part of an AR-15 bolt that get buildup. To test it I pulled out a bolt that had about 500 rounds of filth and a few months of sitting. You can see the results in real time in the video below.
While I wouldn’t call the Carbon boss quite as revolutionary as the Bore Boss or Handgun Tool, it does provide a single-source tool for tackling some of my least-favorite areas to clean. 12 different surfaces provide the help. Below is the description as taken directly from the product webpage.
- Innovative compact triangular frame design
- Single-sided design for fast tool access
- Protective sheath with carry strap
- Durable engineering-grade resin and non-hardened 420 stainless steel tools
- Folding tools use liner locks or detents to stay in place
- AR15 bolt tail scraper (interior and exterior)
- Pin punch for AR15 disassembly
- Firing pin scrapers (3)
- Bolt brushes – bronze phosphor (2)
- Rotating combination SMART BRUSH™
- Cotter pin puller
- Bolt face scraper
- Bolt lug scraper
- Bolt carrier scraper
- Bolt cam pin scraper
One thing I am certain of is how much I would have appreciated such a tool during my time in uniform. Even today when I have an entire tackle box of cleaning tools and accessories, the Carbon Boss means less digging and increased productivity as I pair down my supply. The Carbon Boss would also be handy in a range bag when going to a school or training event. It always seems to be the thing we aren’t prepared for that strikes us. Real Avid’s tools makes being prepared a little more organized and simple.
Let us know what you use to minimize your cleaning chores.