The law enforcement agency that I work for has a patrol rifle program. They issue DMRO M16A1 to each post and they must be signed in and out. The agency has authorized officers to carry their own rifles if they meet certain criteria. I selected to carry my own rifle and was on the hunt for an optic. I was looking for an optic that was in the reflex sight category, rugged, and didn’t break the bank. I selected the Vortex Strikefire II.
While in the military I used the Aimpoint CompM on my service rifle. I was sold on the reflex sight from then on. As a patrol officer my engagements with the patrol rifle will be from a close proximity which therefore, I did not select a powered optic. The Strikefire II offers a red or green dot with ten brightness settings. The 30mm tube offers clear visibility while on target and on sight. The Strikefire II is a great option for someone looking for a reflex sight.
I have had the Strikefire II for over a year now and have not had a single issue. Once I received the optic I zeroed it and placed it into my patrol car. My agency selects to mount the rifle in the trunk. I am on road patrol and spend six to seven hours a day driving. I work both on the highway and inner city streets. Every couple of months the rifle is taken to the range to check the zero and perform drills. This optic has maintained its zero over the course of the year and runs flawlessly during all movement drills. The Strikefire II is rugged enough for patrol use.
As stated above I am a road officer and was not looking to spend $400 to$4500 on an optic that would sit in my trunk most the time. Plus, with it being placed in the trunk it is more likely to be damaged in a crash than me using it in a shooting. The Strikefire II retail price from OpticPlanet was $198, including the mount. I couldn’t buy it fast enough at this price point. The price of this optic is what a patrol optic should be.
The Vortex Strikefire II is a wonderful optic for patrol use. The optic is rugged and at a price that won’t break the bank. This optic has held up to any patrol related tasks. The best part about the Strikefire II is the VIP warranty. Vortex has the best warranty in the optics world. The warranty is, if it is damaged or broken, send it in and they fix or replace it. This is done with no questions asked. Vortex Strikefire II and their complete line of optics is a great choice for officers and all shooters.
- Compact and lightweight.
- O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments.
- Nitrogen gas purging delivers fogproof, waterproof performance.
- Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
- Highly durable low-glare matte finish.
- Rated from -22 degrees to +140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Convenience Features
- Cantilever Ring Mount puts the optic bore center 40 mm above the base, providing lower 1/3 co-witness with iron sights on flat top AR-15 rifles.
- Unlimited Eye Relief
- Adjustable Dot Intensity Provides ten variable illumination settings—the lowest two settings are night-vision compatible.
- Battery Life 12-hour auto-shutdown feature maximizes battery life. Typical battery life is 300 hours at maximum brightness and 6,000 hours at minimum brightness setting.
I have been very happy with this optic. It has performed very well under a multitude of training settings. The only complaint that I have is the dot itself, as it is not as crisp as an Aimpoint CompM. This small issue does not affect the optics performance and still is a tac driver. I look forward to use this optic this year in several training courses and three gun competitions.
– Brett Hannum