I’ve carried a Streamlight flashlight for the better part of 4 years now as part of my everyday carry. For a long time, it was the popular ProTac 1AA that ran off a single AA battery and was the perfect size for carrying inside my pocket. I’ve also switched between the ProTac 2L and the newer ProTac 1L-1AA. Streamlight, in my opinion, is the best deal out there for what you’re getting. Their lights are just as rugged as other higher end manufacturers, but at a price point, everyone can afford. Kyle Defoor, former Navy SEAL and now firearms instructor, swears by Streamlight and carries one daily for both his job and personal EDC.
I recently (in March of 2018) had the opportunity to travel to Europe to cover the IWA conference. The IWA is the European version of our SHOT Show. While there, I swung by the Streamlight booth to chat with the European contacts and was introduced to the newer ProTac 1AAA. The newer version puts out 115 lumens, whereas the previous topped out at 70 lumens. After talking to them and getting my hands on it, I had to get one to personally try out for my everyday carry.
If you’re an aspiring minimalist with regards to your everyday carry, then this light may be the ticket for you. Granted it’s not some super lumen light putting out 1000 lumens, it will get the job done in low light and complete darkness. You don’t think 115 lumens is enough to disorient a threat? Go into a dark room or outside at night and face the light towards your face and turn it on. I guarantee you’re going to be seeing spots for several minutes. My other pet peeve with higher lumen lights is that I burn through the runtime when I have to use it as a task light, which to be honest, is what we are going to be using our lights for 99% of the time. The Streamlight ProTac 1AAA closes that gap, giving you a light that is still a viable personal protection option but can also function as a true everyday use light.
Specs courtesy of the ProTac 1AAA:
- Features TEN-TAP® Programming – Choose from three user selectable programs:
1) high/strobe/low 2) high only 3) low/high
- LED output and run times:
- High for bright light: 115 lumens; runs 1.75 hours (alkaline); runs 2.25 hours (lithium); 890 candela
- Low for a less intense beam and longer run time: 8 lumens; runs 17 hours (alkaline); runs 23 hours (lithium); 65 candela
- Strobe for disorienting or signaling: runs 1.5 hours (alkaline); runs 3.75 hours (lithium)
- Includes nylon holster and one “AAA” alkaline battery (also accepts one “AAA” lithium battery for extended run time)
- IPX7 waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes; 2 meter impact resistance tested
- Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
- Rubber push-button tail switch
- Durable, anodized aluminum construction with impact-resistant tempered glass lens
- Unbreakable pocket clip
- Anti-roll head
- 3.94” (10 cm); 1.3 oz (37 grams)
- RoHS compliant