First and foremost, I want to preface this review by saying this is my first experience with a sling pack. Being it’s a sling pack, I didn’t want to load the thing down and cause myself unneeded neck pain, so I went on the lighter side with my loadout. On a recent road trip I packed the following gear in the Red Rock Gear Recon Sling Pack to take to and from the car, hotel room, and when on the move.
- 27oz Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- 550 Cord
- First Aid Kit & Trauma Dressing
- Black Diamond Headlamp
- Glock 17 Handgun
Colors: Black, Coyote, Dark Earth, OD
Weight: 1 lb, 3 oz
Material: 600D Polyester
Capacity: 800 cubic inches
Dimensions: 18” x 11” x 8”
Linear Length: 37”
- Adjustable sling strap with quick release buckle. A stabilizer strap is also included to help keep the sling pack from moving around during movement. I’ve walked several miles with this pack and have to say it was extremely comfortable and didn’t shift around at all.
- Quick access concealed carry compartment
- Utility pouch for essentials with velcro face for that favorite morale patch or unit patch
- Four storage compartments
- Molle webbing platform on front panel and sides for adding additional gear and pouches
- The padding against your back and on the main strap make carrying this sling pack over distance much more comfortable.
Advantages of the Red Rock Recon Sling Pack:
- The pack keeps my contents securely in place. I didn’t want my concealed carry gear spilling out or being readily visible when I reach for water, a snack, or any other daily items.
- The pack allows you to access everything including your firearm without having to take the pack off. This is handy on the trail when needing to take a drink from your water bottle or eating a snack on the go.
- You can carry the bag onto public transportation and not have to set it down next to you, on the ground, or under a seat. Just swing the pack around and have a seat.
If you want a good bail out bag with room for a few of life’s luxuries or work items this bag is perfect. It would make a great traveling bag, as setting it down is not necessary. Just don’t expect to load an extra set of clothes in it. The pack provides an excellent way to clandestinely move a firearm from one place to another. Especially in the summer time when wearing shorts or less clothing that makes carrying concealed more difficult. It makes a great little pack to store a firearm in an unfriendly environment, and if you have no other choice, it’s certainly better to use this pack as your CCW carry than not having a gun at all.