Typically, when I stumble into the Nemo Equipment display at Outdoor Retailer, I’m looking for cutting edge lightweight camping gear. After all, that’s kinda their shtick. I own a lightweight tent and a down sleeping bag from Nemo and they rock in every way possible. What I didn’t expect, was to be drawn to an old school hickory shafted hammer. But for some reason, I was intrigued by it. As a General Contractor, I know my way around hand tools and more specifically, hammers. And it had this classic woodworkers look and feel to it. Which drew me in as this was such a departure from what I expected to see.
Meldr Hammer video review:
The Meldr hammer is a robust 1 lb. 9 oz. hand tool best suited for base camp operations or in my case, Overlanding. The plan is to stash this beast in my Atlas 46 tool roll and use it for setting up camp when traveling. It’s kind of a conversation piece as well. In a time where tools are moving towards alloys and composites, breaking out a square hickory shaft hammer will surely turn a few heads. Measuring a compact 12″ x 2″ x 3″, the Meldr Hammer will fit in the tool roll under the back seat with ease.
Nemo designers incorporated a slightly angled strike face to make pounding stakes into the ground a bit easier from above. Additionally, the cast head of the Meldr features a recessed cavity back for prying and pulling stubborn stakes from terra firma. And finally, with a nod to the reason we really go camping in the first place, a bottle opener is securely mounted to the base of the hickory shaft. So, for all the wrong reasons, I will indeed be toting this heavy blast from the past all over the country this summer. To pound awning stakes with a $50 hammer. In reality, I think that’s exactly what the Nemo designers were hoping for when they built the Meldr Hammer.
- Stainless steel head is solid cast for a high-quality feel and efficient force.
- Artfully tapered and perfectly balanced solid hickory shaft is strong, comfortable, and shock absorbing.
- Ergonomically designed raked striking face creates perfect strike angle for driving stakes from above, bringing ease and enjoyment to camp set up.
- Redtail Hawk-shaped hook doubles as a stake extractor and bottle opener.
- Minimalist design and timelessnessthrough clean lines and utilitarian strength.
- Weight: 1 pound 9 ounces
- Dimensions: 12″ x 2″ x 3″
- Protected by the NEMO Lifetime Warranty.
- MSRP $49.95